This course contains 4 modules dealing with financial frauds which helps us in understanding finance and accounting concepts.
Accounting scandals have always been part of the financial history of the world. All listed (on the stock exchange) companies have to present and report their financials to the investors, lenders, customers etc. Hence, their results should be accurate and fair. Most companies publish their results quarterly and they also publish an annual report yearly.
Frauds and scandals generally occur when there is manipulations of the financial records. Sometimes when strict regulations are not in place and auditors do not comply with the set laws, some people get away by cooking the books. Corrupt officials and auditors take advantage of loopholes and the ones who suffer is the common public at large.
This course is for you, if you are:
- A Graduate/ Post graduate student
- A School Student
- A Professional
- Anyone who is interested to understand scandals in detail
Some of the corporate frauds that we will be discussing are:
- Enron- Financial Concepts of Securitization, MTM etc.
- Harshad Mehta- Ready forward deal (RFD), bank receipts etc.
- Subprime Crisis – Understanding Creative Financing, CDO, housing bubble etc.
- Business Ethics- How Apple and Facebook have not been the most ethical companies?